Week 12 Word: Set Apart
Week 12 Text: Psalm 4:3 NLT
Written by: Diana Dunne
“You can be sure of this: The LORD set apart the godly for himself. The LORD will answer when I call to him.” (Psalm 4:3 NLT)
God plays favorites. Yes, you read that right…favorites. I am His favorite. You too, darling girl, are His favorite. We’re the apples of His eye. Teacher’s pets. We belong to a very special sorority.
We are set apart.
You see, we are part of a bigger picture–a much bigger picture. Indulge me for a few seconds for a very quick look at the world’s light-and-dark beginnings:
- God separates the light from the darkness, establishes a special relationship with man and woman, and sets them apart from all creation.
- Man and woman sin and walk away from God; humanity and its darkness spread over the earth.
- In this gloom, God sees a light– a single family who walks with Him–and He sets them apart in an ark above the floodwaters.
- But mankind works together in dark ambition to build a tower to establish their own fame. So God scatters them, generation upon generation, until…
… God lights a candle in the dark. A covenant relationship with man. (He plays favorites.)
He chooses Abraham, then Isaac and Jacob. Moses and Aaron, David and Solomon. Chosen. Set apart. Wow! Kinda makes you all tingly inside, doesn’t it? Proud to be part of the club, one of God’s favorites. But before we reach for our tiaras, look at that list again:
Abraham and Isaac; both liars and cowards. Jacob–a deceiver. Moses and Aaron; a murderer and an idol-maker, respectively. David, an adulterer. Solomon, an idol-worshipper. What an outstanding crew! Who wouldn’t nominate them for the “set-apart society”?
However, being set apart is about who God is, not who we are. Me? I cannot give you a single reason why God would bring me out of the dark and into His light. No reason whatsoever that He should hear me when I call, let alone answer me. BUT HE DID. And He does. Not just for me; not just for you. He does this for all who would open their hearts to Him, because the Bible says…
“The Word [Jesus] gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone.The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.” (John:4-5 NLT) A new covenant. A restored relationship. That’s the good news Jesus came to give us. He prayed, “Sanctify them [set them apart] by the truth; your word is truth.” (John 17:17 NLT) He prefaced that in verse 16 by saying, “They do not belong to this world any more than I do.” When we are set apart by the Father, He kindles His light in us so we can shine in this dark world. And why? Jesus says it so clearly:
“I pray that they will all be one just as you and I are one–as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.” (John 17:21 NLT)
Set apart in Him. Shine, favored one!
- By setting me apart, Father, you show the world Your qualities of ____________, ___________, and _________________.
- Thinking of myself as Your favorite makes me feel ______________________________.
- One place I would really like to shine Your light is _______________________________.
- This is really hard to admit, Father, but I need help being set apart from ________________________, so that I can truly be one with You.